A blog for her friends to check that she's still alive, when she's been missing for a while, and what she's whinging about now.

My Profile.


Saturday, July 10, 2004

*happy dance* and the Road Ahead

I'VE PASSED MY PROJECT! This means that I have a grand total of 120 credits toward my MA. If I dropped out now, I'd get a Postgraduate Diploma, but I'm going for the Masters, which is 180 cedits, 60 of which are gained by the dissertation.

Here's what comes next:

The dissertation should not exceed 15,000 words (excluding footnotes and appendices). It has a credit rating of 60 credits. The dissertation is a major piece of independent study, normally combining original research with a thorough analysis of the established literature in the relevant area. The ability of the student to complete this successfully is central to demonstrating his/her capacity at Master's level.

The dissertation... is a substantial piece of work. It may be conceived of as a 'problem solving' exercise; for example, the exploration of a neglected area with a view to contributing to scholarly inquiry or a critical review and adjudication on a topic of scholarly dissension. In either case, a 'narrow' narrative approach is insufficient.

The dissertation should normally include:

I) an awareness of differing and competing methodologies (eg Marxist vs Liberal interpretations; quantitative and qualitative issues);

II) a critical consideration of the historiographical debate;

III) a comprehensive review of the secondary literature;

Iv) the use of primary sources.

Ok...

And what have I got so far:

British Wicca: Towards an Academic History?

I'm not going to go into as much detail about the approaches to the methodology - just a couple of sentences/a paragraph - then I'll cross-reference to the project; a literary review of the sources already out there; a look at applied methodology; an overview of the academic work already done, and what is missing, plus the debates; enter into the debates myself.

Today, I e-mailed all of the people who have supported or actively helped me during the last project. Kate, the Witchgrove gang, plus those who specifically helped me individually, Ronald Hutton, George Chyrssides, Selena Fox, Raymond Buckland, Charles Arnold, Isaac Bonewits, Mike Cunningham and Owen Davies. They are all wonderful people and I am grateful for all that they contributed.

Now to do it again, three times as big, and hope to pull it off. I have more confidence that I can now than I did at the start of the project!

yours
Mab
xxxxx
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?