A blog for her friends to check that she's still alive, when she's been missing for a while, and what she's whinging about now.

My Profile.


Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Legal Handfasting in Scotland

I've just discovered that someone who e-mailed me to officiate at their handfasting is about to become the bride in the first legal handfasting in the British Isles! (Well, since they stopped being legal, presumably around 1837). I wasn't able to help her, as Wolverhampton is nowhere near Edinburgh, so I'm pleased that she was able to find someone.

Scotland’s first legally binding white witch wedding held

All of this raises the question - is it now going to be legal in England too? The coven in question qualified under the 1977 Marriage Act, which stipulated that authorization can be given by the Registrar General to groups who meet regularly for religious worship. I don't meet anyone regularly for religious worship, except deity. It would be nice to offer legality without having to go to the Registry Office in any future handfastings that I officiated in. Not that I'm planning to officiate in any ever again.

In the past it's been downright embarrassing and irritating - come down from the high of the handfasting and instead of going to the reception, we have to pile into the Registry Office, all still in our robes, get them married legally, leave and celebrate. It makes the day very disjointed.

yours
Mab
xxxxx
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?