A blog for her friends to check that she's still alive, when she's been missing for a while, and what she's whinging about now.

My Profile.


Tuesday, September 07, 2004

White Trash v Working Class


I'm still reading the Eminem book and I've just read a chapter describing Detroit. 8 mile sounds like Whitmore Reans and the whole of Detroit sounds like a bigger version of Wolverhampton. One thing it mentioned was 'white trash', which I think is the American version of the British working class.

I got musing. I think that if I was American, I'd be white trash. I flit between amused and proud of that. I think of 'Silence of the Lambs' and Clarice Starling being white trash. Whenever I hear those words, it's in Hannibal Lecter's voice. LOL

I was comparing the two terms and while, on the surface, it sounds like we've got the 'nicer' term for it, I think that if you probe further, it's the Americans who call it better. Working class implies that our whole being in life is to work, serve, be glorified slaves. White trash implies that our whole being in life is to be something that the higher classes don't value. There's cool, because I've seen some of their values and I demand not to be valuable by their standards! Besides once something has been thrown out, it's free to do what it wants, isn't it?

Obviously the 'white' is a race reference.

Mmmm...

Note to self - ask the next passing American what they call folk who aren't white, but who are working class too. Red trash, yellow trash, brown trash, black trash? You never hear of any of them! Perhaps it's only white people who get to be trash in America. It's a mystery.

yours
Mab
xxxxx
Comments:
Mab Mab Mab....

You are not even CLOSE to being white trash. First of all, you're a vegetarian. Second of all, you do not live in a trailer park. Third, you are EDUCATED. Eminem is non o' these. Dream on, darling.
 
Close, cariad, white trash is a blanket term: most often it's the sort you'd see on Jerry Springer :)
That's the simplest way I can put it LOL
XOXOXO
Shonna
 
I don't know. Reading this book, he seems pretty educated to me, on a whole range of issues and he's definitely got a bigger spoken vocabulary than I have (though I'll run him for the written vocabulary). He had to leave school at 15, but so did most of the people in Wyrley Bank, looking at the stats I'm privy to now in my job. I'm an anomaly where I live. And Clarice Starling is white trash, but joined the FBI.

We don't actually have trailer parks in Britain, we have council estates. We do have caravan parks, but they tend to be for holidays. Our Margie used to live in a caravan, which was really cool. I have great memories of that, because she used to let me watch the Hammer Horror films there and made toast with REAL butter. *drools* Then she moved into a council house.

So IS white trash what we'd call the working class here? On the Grove, Jodi called herself and her family white trash and judging by her e-mails, I'm well on a par with her.

yours
Mab
xxxxx
 
Jami, not Jodi.

yours
Mab
xxxxxx
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?