A blog for her friends to check that she's still alive, when she's been missing for a while, and what she's whinging about now.

My Profile.


Friday, November 26, 2004

It's No Good Trying

I am my own worst enemy. Worse, the rest of the world have me to contend with when it comes to sorting out my shite. A series of daily panic attacks, vision going blurry, leg's going and my sudden tendency to burst into tears at the drop of a hat mean that just about everyone around me is on Operation Calm Johnny Down. The least I can do is bloody co-operate.

Today was a good day really. It's not so much that things calmed down at work, but that everyone was out except me and Caroline. Caroline isn't so stressed, so talked incessantly at me until I just gave up and slowed down. I only managed one moment of absolute plot losing - I was thirsty so I went down to the refectory and bought a hot chocomilk. I got canting with Jill about what she was wearing to her party tonight, paid her for the drink and forgot to take it with me. It was an hour and half later when I thought, 'Why am I so thirsty?', when it occurred to me that there wasn't an empty cup on my desk.

I can only concentrate on one thing at a time right now. My life has condensed down into work and dissertation, maybe Grove but as a member only until this is past. I went to pieces in the early hours of last Saturday morning, in the Mods room, so everyone there has been very slowly and carefully finding out what it is that I do and re-allocating it. If I was them, I'd be looking for their David Gilmour around about now.

FT Kate came over soon as she heard the words 'thousand yard stare' and the tone of my voice, and she tidied my room - which was a big job. People talk to me in simple lines, 'Jo, did you get the post?' 'When?' 'Just now, when you took the keys with you. Can you remember where you went?' 'I had a fag.' 'Have you still got the keys?' 'Ermmm... *rumage rumage* Yes.' 'But there was no post?' And I honestly can't remember. This is what folk are up against right now. As I left work, I've never had so many people tell me to get some rest this weekend. 'What are you up to the weekend?' 'Dissertation.' 'Right... anything else?' 'Nope.' 'Maybe you should... oh! And get some sleep.' 'Ok.'

I feel like one of those spiders who, having been given some intoxicating or hallucinogenic substance, starts weaving strange or broken webs.

I am co-operating, after a fashion, though my mind is more 'It's No Good Trying' (see link in title) than really losing it. I understand what I don't understand. I still have the check-list there but, whereas it used to make sense, now I argue against it. Take this evening - I'd just done some work on my dissertation, after a good day at work, and I'm sitting here in this beautifully tidy room, when my phone goes in the other room. It's Rob. He's seen the full moon and he's thinking on me. He hopes I'm alright. I sat on my bed and let the moonlight drift over me. I got up smiling, feeling full, but when I looked at my work again, I couldn't remember what I'd been working on.

So I thought I'd go and see what's been added to the photo gallery - no brain stuff, just delight, while I find where I was again. But I couldn't see any additions, so the panic started coming. How come no-one's asked for the photos in my folder? What if no-one is adding stuff, because they don't know how and it's just all waiting there for when I finish this? Right, can I do both? So I starting adding pics, when the connection went on my dial-up and I lost all of the upload. Simultaneously, I'm trying to up-load the pics in my folder from the Wolves Moot lot and that connection breaks. Is this the Goddess trying to reinforce what the others have said regarding anything remotely mod-like? I should e-mail Mods... I should ask what's happening... no, I shouldn't, it'll look like I'm pressuring them, doubting them, like I'm modding when I shouldn't be... then the descent really starts and I'm in tears again.

That's what it's like here. I have to constantly stop, catch myself and breathe. The slightest thing sets me off and it either ends in tears, despair, anxiety or, at the other end of the spectrum, calm, laughter, love. It's not predictable. Someone writes with a problem and I can either be grateful for the chance to do something useful/come out of myself, or I can panic. It depends on the hour or even the minute. I have an inbox which was full of people trying to reach me, tell me it's ok, letting me off the hook with things I promised to do. Georgia wrote to the Grove telling folk to e-mail her instead of me for things they would ordinarily e-mail me for. Caroline intercepts my calls at work and deals with whatever is there instead. Cerr has told me to stop thinking on the website - she is speaking to Nimue, Dani and Draig and it will all be sorted. My text-memory on my phone keeps filling up and folk 'phone. I know for certain that there is a protective wall around me, sheltering me from everything but myself.

And myself. That's a weird one. There's a vast difference between being ok and fighting your inner demons, and not being ok and fighting your inner demons. When this is sorted, I'll try to explain that a little better. I can actually step out of myself 99% of the time and assess the situation. At those moments, I can even see what I should do to clear just a little bit more murk to find my way back. I just did it. And the response was to actually write a blog so folk aren't guessing and not to try to second guess them.

Ocean wrote me the most amazing e-mail earlier. It's the first thing I've printed out for ages, because I wanted to read it over and over again. It's strange, because she's saying only a bit more than FT Kate, Cerr, Georgia or the others have said, but as I read it I felt it go in. Bloody Virgo knew how to argue in terms that a Virgo would understand. Four A4 pages worth of it. It was as if she had stepped right in here with me and had a good long look at the view, before stepping out of my head and interpreting it all her own way. How the fuck she did that, I'll never know! I'm a bit stunned after reading it, to be honest, but it's slotted a lot of things into place. It made me let go enough to write this blog anyway, instead of afretting that I haven't finished the Vegas blogs. I've just sat and re-read it another twice and half wish she'd posted it to the Grove or an open letter in her blog or something, so I could show people and say, look, it's like this.

I'm extraordinarily grateful for those who deliberately or intuitively know how to react to my strangeness right now. When it's just a case of, 'It's ok, cariad', and then it's gone. There's still a lightning brain underneath all of this going at top speed, but it's writing this dissertation. I have to get into the slipstream of it, because if I'm pulled out, there's just this very confusing, slightly hostile world that I don't know how to be with, while knowing that it's actually the extreme opposite of hostile. It's actually the biggest ever demonstration of my friends closing ranks to protect me throughout history; I keep glimpsing it, but it's so hard to actually see it from where my brain is.

Then Ocean went and told me academically.

Clever girl.

The me outside of me is nodding with a respectful smirk on my face; the me inside of me doesn't quite know what just hit her. She's just working it out.

I'm ok again now. Between Ocean and this blog, the world is quiet again.

yours
Mab
xxxx
Comments:
**massive cuddle**
Our Ocean did the same thing to me LOL Gotta love her - and gotta love you too, come to it....There is no shame in being overwhelmed, Johnny, and certainly you're loved enough that you're covered no matter what.
I think one thing you've maybe not been able to wrap your head around is that while it might not be people freaking because this or that isn't done that it's not that they don't care or that they're flipping out, rather it's that they are understanding that you're overwhelmed with everything that's piled sky-high on your plate and that they're figuring that things like the pics on the website can wait till a) you're done, b) they get the time to sort that themselves or c) one of the others can help them put them in -
The great thing about the Grove and indeed the relationship we all have together is that there is a very genuine "having of back-sides..." ie: when I went down in flames not long ago, you stepped in without thinking twice - when Georgia wasin the throes of her divorce we did the same for her, when Mike needed us we did the same for him, for Matt, the list goes on. DOn't think for a moment that we wouldn't be there for you, too.....I'm SO glad that Ocean wrote you - her heart is solid gold, and I'm also glad that what she wrote sunk in - and that you've got some quiet for yourself.....
Hey, speaking of quiet, I should have notes to you re: Dissertation late tonight or early tomorrow :D
Garu ti, bach, it'll be OK
I've called in the cavalry
XOXOXO
Shonna
 
I'm thankful for Ocean sending you that email. :-)

Just relax, don't worry... You need to get the attitude of Jamica mon.... hehe

OK love you
Georgia
 
Just for the weekend... put your Inner Virgo Protestant away and just do things for you. Don't make me do the same thing to you as I did to Georgia. It's OK to lose the plot... we all do. Just know you'll be caught when you fall.

Anna
 
btw Johnny, message off the twinsies, Rhee, Gharie and the lot: "Don't make us come over there"

;)

XOXOXO
Shonna
 
Wish I had some wise words for you, thank the Gods for Ocean, a true diamond, just know I love ya and I'm here, whenever,

Love and Hugs

Aud xxx
 
This might make you laugh though, have you ever watched Dick and Dom on a Saturday morning, when they go out place and shout "Boggies" to see who can shout it the loudest, on Thrusday at 5.00pm on the 529 top deck, me and the kids played it and I won, I shouted boggies the loudest, got some very funny looks, I was crying cause I was laughing so much and the kids, so my advice go and play boggies. Somewhere where it is quiet has the best effect, people think your mad, but its bloody good fun.

Aud xxx
 
Wow! Cavalry!

Georgia - I thought you were supposed to be on Georgia Day, which means not reading Mab whinges. ;-) Love you cariad fi.

'Won't you help me sing
These songs of freedom?
They were all we ever had -
Redemption songs;
Redemption songs...'

Anna - You first. ;-) And you were never filing your nails while they were dragging the lake.

Aud - LMFAO! BOOOOOOOOOOOOGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. :-D Don't underestimate your wisdom, bach.

Shonna - *leaps onto the table* Oh! Captain! My Captain! Thank you for the dissertation notes so far, I've looked at them and already incorporated a couple of points. But thank you most of all for confirming that it's going alright there; it's a relief to see where the web is being built sure and true.

As for the overwhelming, yes, I get it now. Ocean put it in terms that even I can accept.

Twins, Rhee and Gharie - come on then. :-D

yours
Mab
xxxxx
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?