A blog for her friends to check that she's still alive, when she's been missing for a while, and what she's whinging about now.

My Profile.


Thursday, January 13, 2005

Thine Eyes Have Seen the Glory...

I'd be really worried if I worked in our office and I wasn't me (or Sarah), as things tend to come in threes.

On Sunday night, I cracked my contact lens. As it was a minute split, and not all the way through, I thought it would be ok. Note to everyone: It's not ok to put a split contact lens in your eye EVEN if the split is on the outside and it doesn't hurt when you initially put it in. That's the optical equivalent of standing on a wall watching the pretty tsunami coming in. Let's just say that I was very glad to get home from work on Monday evening to remove the said contact lens from a very sore, watering and scratched eye. Tuesday and Wednesday, I wore my glasses, which is all well and good, except I haven't seen the inside of an opticians for about four years, which means that the glasses weren't quite right prescription-wise. I was constantly leaning closer and closer to the computer in order to read it. So Tuesday evening, I raced up town and got into the opticians shortly before they closed, made an appointment for the next day and chose some frames. Wednesday evening, I raced up there again, having left work slightly earlier to do this thing, and bought a pair of gas permeable contact lenses and two pairs of glasses in the 2 for 1 deal. Even with 10% discount, this was a lot more than I could afford. I paid for it in overdraft (which is already more overdrawn than I was hoping), went outside for a fag while they made up one pair of the glasses (they luckily had one set of the lenses in stock) and looked in the travel agent's window next door. Special deals on flights - New York £282 Las Vegas £334... ie both less money than I'd just spent on the glasses and lenses...

Strike two: Sarah got off the train in Wolverhampton yesterday and the wind blew dust and grit into her face. By the time she walked into work, her eye was bulging, bright red and she was in some considerable pain. I had a firk in it and found an eye-lash, but its removal did nothing to lessen the pain. An eyebath dislodged a tiny piece of grit, but still nothing. It took me over an hour to convince her that she needed to go up Compton Eye Infirmary, but eventually we went. There was another piece of grit right up in the top/back of her eye-ball, which was attached to the inside of her lid. No wonder I couldn't find it!

So there's two down with eyes in our office, now resolved. I always distrust two similar things happening together; I hold my breath waiting for number three, then relax.




Money, money, money...

I think I need an accountant urgently. Both my current account and my Visa card have horrific debts on them, but another voice in my head says that it will all be ok with patience. I've had a lot of sending out without any coming in, but there are things to come in. I'm crap at maths and crap at getting my head around this stuff.




Happiness is...

I am having such a great time at the moment! I'm getting used to the idea that I don't have to do anything (except go to work), so I can get home of an evening and think, 'what do I fancy doing?' I've added a load of names to my Tribal Pages, which is so brilliant! *happy dance* My genealogy was the first casualty of my having way too much to do, because it's something which only pleases me. If there's only me involved, then I'm more likely to drop it than if it's something benefitting one or more other people. It feels deliciously selfish to be working on my Tribal Pages. *grin* I've also transcribed a load of information for the Black Country Hartills group (and shown where me and Caroline are related), which I eventually had to stop because I'd done so much that it was doing my head in.

Other than that, I'm dipping into the Grove as and when; if someone mentions something on the telly, I might go and watch the telly for an hour; I'll sit and read a book for pleasure... all these things that folk take for granted which, to me, are precious pass-times to be savoured. I've spent over a year having to do things; now I'm spending time doing whatever I fancy. It's a beautiful gift.




Birthdays!

How many Capricorns do I know?! There are millions of them, mostly on the Grove. It's Laura's birthday today; but in the past few weeks, there's been a plethora of birthdays going on. You all know who you are and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?